Wat Duang Dee is located in the historic center of old walled Chiang Mai. The temple was founded in the early 16th century. According to the Chiang Mai Chronicle, a monk of Wat Duang Dee became ruler of Chiang Mai in 1761. This was a short period of independence for Chiang Mai before the Burmese returned to again govern the country in 1763. In 1819 King Thammalangka renovated the monastery and held a dedication celebration. Wat Duang Dee has a monastic library founded at 1829 with beautiful gilded wood carvings.